Friday, May 13, 2011

Melon and Prosciutto Salad

What a pleasant surprise! I woke up this morning to sun filtering through my curtains and birds chirping outside my window. At last Boston is seeing some blue skies after a week of depressing rain and near constant cloud cover. Warm, sunny weather always puts me in such a good mood. I opened all the windows in the apartment and went for a nice long walk down Beacon Street. I've finally finished my exams at school and it was so enjoyable just to have a moment to breathe. 


The beauty of the huge blue skies, burgeoning pink cherry blossoms, and bright green grass has inspired me to make something fresh and simple to eat for lunch. I decided on a take of the classic melon and prosciutto appetizer that is normally served on skewers with a thin slice of salty prosciutto wrapped delicately around a juicy piece of cantaloupe. I decided why not enjoy these fresh flavors as a melon salad? It would be perfect to serve as an appetizer for a dinner party or as a side dish to brunch. I added some honeydew melon for extra color and because it is just so deliciously sweet. I also added some low-fat mozzarella cheese for texture, taste, and substance. The basil lends a bright, fresh taste to the salad and complements the sweetness of the fruit. 

I think it's time to take a bowl of this Melon Prosciutto Salad and a glass of rose to the porch and continue to enjoy this beautiful day! 





Melon and Prosciutto Salad
Serves 4 (as an appetizer or side dish)

Ingredients


1/2 honeydew melon
1/2 canteloupe
1 4 oz package of prosciutto (or 1/4 lb freshly sliced from your local deli)
1/4 cup basil (a good handful)
1/2 cup low fat mozzarella (fairly firm)
1 T honey, to drizzle if desired

Methods

1. Cut the melon into cubes about 1.5" in size and place in a large bowl.


2. Rinse and dry off the basil. Rip it into small pieces or roll up the leaves and slice them in a chiffonade. I like the more rustic look of the hand-ripped pieces. Add the basil to the salad.

3. Gently slice the mozzarella into bite size pieces and add to the salad.

4. Very gently separate the slices of prosciutto. Using a sharp knife, cut each slice into 4 to 5 pieces and add to the salad.

5. Gently mix all ingredients together and serve with a drizzle of honey if desired.


As always, Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment