Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ways with Eggs: A Healthy Breakfast Burrito

It's 2:00 in the afternoon, I just got home after classes, errands, and the gym, and I am STARVING. Oh wait, I live in Boston: I am STAHHHVIN. Long story short, I look in the fridge and realize I haven't gone food shopping in much too long and all I have left is a couple of staples and a few odd remnants (things like plum jam, pickles, and that questionable cheese that you don't want to get rid of but you don't want to take a chance on). So what can I make before I pass out from low blood sugar?



 Being a nutrition geek, whatever I make to eat needs to fill me up and provide a good dose of vitamins and minerals. Spotting a ripe tomato, a just-ripe avocado, a couple of eggs, a single whole wheat wrap, a bit of cheese, and some herbs, I went to work. I made what I like to call the "healthy breakfast burrito", even though I happen to be eating it for lunch. The protein and fiber in the eggs and whole wheat wrap will help to keep you full for hours to come. What's more, the tomato and avocado are satsifying and chock full of vitamins and healthy fats. You won't find any refried beans or salty rice in this meal. Just pure, healthy ingredients that come together in a tasty and satisfying morning or mid-day meal. The whole thing will only take a few minutes to prepare, making it the perfect lunch for a hungry soul like myself.



As always, I hope you enjoy and please let me know what you think.

Healthy Breakfast Burrito
Serves 1


Ingredients


1/2 avocado, ripe
1/2 small tomato
2 T cilantro, chopped roughly and stems removed
2 eggs
1-2 slices low fat cheddar cheese
1 whole wheat wrap

Method


1. Spray a small frying pan with nonstick spray and crack two eggs on the pan to cook over easy (or as desired).
2. While eggs are cooking, take out the wrap and lay the cheese slices in the middle. Melt the cheese onto the wrap using a toaster oven, microwave, or frying pan.
3. Slice the avocado and tomato and place on your plate. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and the chopped cilantro.
4. Add the wrap with melted cheese to the plate and place your eggs in the center of the wrap when cooked.
5. Add the avocado, tomato, and cilantro to the wrap or eat on the side. Most of all, enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That wrap looks great! I love when you can use what's left in the fridge to make a healthy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice when it works out! Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I love avocados with just about anything...

    ReplyDelete